MIDTERM PROJECT

About

For my midterm project, I wanted to focus on sustainable fashion, specifically on the case of bio-fabrication. I am going into the fashion industry after I graduate. It is a passion of mine that I have been interested ever since I was little. However, I struggle with the idea that the fashion industry is the #2 polluter of the world. Twenty percent of water pollution globally results from textile processing. I knew that if I went into the industry I needed to help change (and not ignore) this fact. The fashion industry mainly contributes to pollution in the way that they currently produce all their fabrics. So why not start at the heart of the matter?

With my posters, I wanted to get the message across that there are other alternatives to produce fabric that are less costly to our environment. This is a topic I have been interested in for a few years now and find joy in researching it. Aesthetically, I wanted my posters to be bold in order to catch attention. But I knew I also wanted them to be simple so they would keep that attention. I find that when posters are too busy people begin to pass them by. I wanted these posters to be informational. On the front of the poster, people would see the design I made and on the back, they would read about how each bio-fabrication works.

Inspiration

For my inspiration, I wanted to look up companies who were already in the process of doing this bio-fabrication. I found leaders in the industry and wanted to see how I could incorporate their designs, their tones, and their cultures into my posters. I also researched each bio fabrication method and explained it briefly to show where I derived some of my designs from.

Micro Silk

Spiders produce silk fibers that have remarkable strength, elasticity, durability, and softness. With the help of technology, micro silk is a way to replicate this process sustainably at a large scale process. Scientists have developed proteins inspired by the natural silks that spiders create by using bioengineering to put genes into yeast. They produce the proteins in large quantities through fermentation using yeast, sugar, and water. The main ingredient used is sugar which makes this whole process sustainable. Sugar comes from plants that are grown, harvested, and replanted, whereas polyester is made from non renewable petroleum-derived fibers. After the production of the protein, scientists extract the liquid silk and spin it into fibers in the same way that acrylic and rayon are made. Lastly they knit these fibers into fabrics and garments. No spiders are harmed in the process because there are no spiders at all in the process. They were originally just studied to understand the relationship between spiders’ DNA and the characteristics of the fibers they make.

https://boltthreads.com/technology/microsilk/

Orange Fiber

Orange fiber is the process of making fabric from citrus juice byproducts. The textile is constructed from a silk-like cellulose yarn that can be blended with other materials. It is used in its purest form, resulting in a 100% citrus textile that has a silky hand feel, is light weight, and can be opaque or shiny according to production needs.

http://www.orangefiber.it/home/

Eco Dying

Eco Dying is the process of natural dying your fabrics with flowers and not harmful chemicals to the environment. The process includes enclosing plants in textiles or paper bundled with string, and then steaming or immersing them in hot water to extract the pigments and produce a print made with plant dyes. Leaves, stems, flowers, buds, seeds and roots may be used.

https://wendyfe.wordpress.com/tutorial-leaf-monoprinting-by-cassandra-tondro/

Planning

Colors/Text

For this poster, I played around with many texts and colors. I knew I wanted a bold font that stuck out since I wanted just a few words on each poster. For this reason, I chose the font “Impact” as it conveyed the exact message I wanted to get across and make an impact with.

I also knew I wanted the colors I chose to pop. I wanted to emulate a sort of “pop art” poster so I chose colors that told a story and emulated the subject in each poster. For a spider, I did different variations of black. For an orange, I did different variations of orange. For the flowers, I did different variations of greens and purples.

Sketches

I began sketching what I wanted to do and HATED it as I am not very good at hand drawing. So I decided to stop that and began cutting out pieces of paper and finding objects around the house that I could brainstorm with. I placed dried up flowers on top of paper and rolled an orange around to see just how I wanted to place my designs in Illustrator. This hands on experiment really worked for me as it allowed me to physically place things before I did it digitally. This definitely saved me time as I knew exactly where I wanted my objects to go before I took it to Illustrator.

Tag Lines

Poster 1: SPIN IT

Poster 2: PEEL IT

Poster 3: ROLL IT

Final Designs

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s